Friday, October 24, 2014

# 12 Searching for the Sleep Fairies

“I think insomnia is a sign that a person is interesting.” 
― Avery SawyerNotes to Self

Sleeping has become an issue for me in the past few years .  I used to be great at it--head hits the pillow and I was out.  Menopause has a way of altering all that is normal about life as we used to know it.  If you are a PM woman you are nodding in agreement.

I have learned a few things about sleeping or staring at the ceiling until the wee hours of the morning.  No chocolate or caffeine after 2:00.  Just a bite will cause a sleepless night.  Laughing and carrying on prior to sleeping is enough to trigger a pacing the halls' kind of night.  Since I have given up alcohol I'm not sure if that would help or hinder.  The same is true with my exercise routine that is over by midmorning.  Staring at a computer screen is a big "no, no". Reading a good book will put me to sleep only to wake up hours later thinking about the last sentence.  Warm milk makes me gag and a hot bath gives me chills. Sleeping aids can be habit forming and I certainly don't need any more bad habits.  Making mad passionate love doesn't help me either, however, my faithful partner snores up a storm as I lie next to him with my eyes wide open.

So there you have it.  Sleep can sometimes be as elusive as finding a post menopausal woman after she's had a good night's slumber.  This returns me to the above quote; and as I stomp around looking for the sleep fairies, I will be reconciled to the fact that all is not lost--it simply means that I, indeed, may be an interesting person.

Thanks for reading # 12 of 7777.

No comments:

Post a Comment