Monday, January 2, 2017

#503 The Gentle Must Inherit the Earth

A new day!
I was intrigued when I discovered this New Year's poem by May Sarton.  Not only insightful and perceptive on the approaching 365 days but I felt she conveyed my thoughts on this upcoming twelve month period and saying good bye to the past.

After a bit of investigation on the internet I found she had died at the ripe old age of 85 of breast cancer. Unfortunately I could not locate any more information about how long she had lived with the disease or her views on what was happening during her declining health.

  She was a year older than I hope to be when I leave this earth (Remember my 7777+ days mantra?   That number would take me to 84 but I would love to hang on one more year to match this gifted writer's departure).  She left us with numerous writings and comforting reflections.  Read and enjoy.


New Year Poem
by May Sarton 
Let us step outside for a moment
As the sun breaks through clouds
And shines on wet new fallen snow,
And breathe the new air.
So much has died that had to die this year.
We are dying away from things.
It is a necessity—we have to do it
Or we shall be buried under the magazines,
The too many clothes, the too much food.
We have dragged it all around
Like dung beetles
Who drag piles of dung
Behind them on which to feed,
In which to lay their eggs.
Let us step outside for a moment
Among ocean, clouds, a white field,
Islands floating in the distance.
They have always been there.
But we have not been there.
We are going to drive slowly
And see the small poor farms,
The lovely shapes of leafless trees
Their shadows blue on the snow.
We are going to learn the sharp edge
Of perception after a day’s fast.
There is nothing to fear.
About this revolution…
Though it will change our minds.
Aggression, violence, machismo
Are fading from us
Like old photographs
Faintly ridiculous
(Did a man actually step like a goose
To instill fear?
Does a boy have to kill
To become a man?)
Already there are signs.
Young people plant gardens.
Fathers change their babies’ diapers
And are learning to cook.
Let us step outside for a moment.
It is all there
Only we have been slow to arrive
At a way of seeing it.
Unless the gentle inherit the earth
There will be no earth.

Remember gentle souls, we are still raising money for metastatic breast cancer--it will not end until we have a cure.  Go to UW Carbone Cancer Center and donate today.

Thanks for reading # 503 of 7777.

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone, I'm here to let the whole world know of a man called Dr. Ekpen he is a spell caster and he is the man that helps me in my restore my marriage when my husband broke up with me, he use his power and gift to restore joy in my relationship. I want to also let the whole world know that he can still help if you are been blackmail by someone or you want to win a court case he can help. Contact him today via email: ekpentemple@gmail.com or you can whatsapp him on +2347050270218.

    ReplyDelete