Thursday, April 23, 2015

#192 BUNKO


"Bunco was originally a confidence game similar to three card monte.[1][2] It originated from 19th-century England where it was known as "eight dice cloth".[3] It was imported to San Francisco as a gambling activity in 1855, where it gave its name to gambling parlors, or "Bunco parlors", and more generally to any swindle. After the Civil War the game evolved to a popular parlor game. During the 1920s and Prohibition, Bunco was re-popularized as a gambling game, often associated with a speakeasy. Law-enforcement groups raiding these parlors came to be known as "Bunco squads". Bunco as a family game saw a resurgence in popularity in the 1980s.[4] " 
By Wikipedia

Aha!  Our friendly get together for Bunko could have been raided by the "Bunco Squads".  Wouldn't that have sent the neighborhood abuzz with gossip?  I had no idea this simple--and I mean simple--game originated in the 19th century and was associated with gambling.  I thought it emerged when a group of women tossed some dice, drank wine and constantly laughed at everything and anything.  At least that's what happened here on Bunko night. 

The Bunko women congregated at my house for the evening with the absolute pleasure of hanging out with friends as well as the above mentioned chaos of wine, dice and laughter.  Even though I was  a substitute for a fellow Bunkee, they welcomed me into their circle and we all played on as if the winning envelope at the end of the night concealed a million dollars.  I do believe that historically no one has ever struck it rich playing but I could be wrong. 

There is always a bit of competition floating in the air, however, as far as I can tell there is no skill necessary while playing the game.  If you roll with your right hand, left hand or eyes closed it always comes down to the numbers on the dice. A game of chance yet a few of us continue with our antics yearning for a better outcome.  Hasn't worked for me so I am not recommending anything except yelling, "Baby needs a new pair of shoes". 

That, my friends, was the lucky saying that landed me a second place win and a massive five dollar bill in my pocket (which mysteriously ended up in Rob's wallet).

Thanks for reading # 192 of 7777.




No comments:

Post a Comment