Sunday, May 24, 2015

#223 Africa, Here He Comes

Love his selfie

The baby of the family is home for another week before he heads off on his next adventure in Senegal, West Africa (I am proud of him---really I am).  While on his brief visit here, he is committed to learning the Wolof language and has me as his language coach or more accurately, a listener, while he attempts to tackle this difficult task.  I am quite impressed how quickly he is mastering this dialect especially since it is an unusual one that is generally not heard on the streets of Wisconsin or anywhere else in the US.

Flashcards have been flying around the house and videos are watched as he corralled me into coaching him on his accuracy.  Since Wolof is not my second language, I have no idea if what he is saying is correct or mumble jumble.  I have decided that my actual job is to be the "encourager" and I repeat the phrase, "You are brilliant!" every time we have our flashcard moments. Does it help?  Not sure but it makes him smile and roll his eyes. Definitely worth the mom privileges of either bugging him or reminding him of his number one supporter. My hope is when he is there he can successfully communicate the following phrases and anything else will be icing on the cake.

Very Important Phrases for David's Survival in Senegal according to Mama Gooze:

1.  Where is the bathroom?
2. I am hungry.
3.  I need a doctor.
4.  Take me to my home.
5. Is this water clean?
6.  Where is the American Embassy?
7.  Leave me alone-- my mother will kill you if you hurt me.
8.  How much is it?
9. No, I don't need a wife.
10.  I want to go back to America to see my mother.

Thanks for reading # 223 of 7777.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, and # 10. Only a mom would appreciate those two.

      Delete
  2. 1, 9 and 10 will be essentials, bet he's gonna love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! He is very excited to be going.

      Delete

  3. GREETINGS everyone out there.. my name is (Robert Lora) I am from CANADA i will never forget the help Dr Ogudugu render to me in my marital life. I have been married for 8 years now and my husband and i love each other very dearly. After 6 years of our marriage my husband suddenly change he was having an affair with a lady outside our marriage, my husband just came home one day he pick up his things and left me and the kids to his mistress outside at this time i was confuse not knowing what to do again because i have lost my husband and my marriage too. i was searching for help in the internet, i saw many people sharing testimony on how Dr Ogudugu help them out with their marital problems so i contacted the email of Dr Ogudugu i told him my problem and i was told to be calm that i have come to the right place were i can get back my husband within the next 48hours, to my greatest surprise my husband came to my office begging me on his knees that i should find a place in my heart to forgive him, that he will never cheat on me again, i quickly ask him up that i have forgiven him. Friends your case is not too hard why don't you give Dr Ogudugu a chance, because i know they will help you to fix your relationship with your Ex Partner. contact him: greatogudugu@gmail.com Or you can also reach him via whatsapp on +27663492930

    ReplyDelete