Saturday, November 7, 2015

#391 ZZzzzzzz

Rob attempting a wake up call while in combat gear.


Sleep.  It's like a four letter word to my ears except one extra letter throws it off--similar to my rotten sleep patterns.  According to the doc, I have developed an aversion to drifting off to dreamland in my big comfy bed at night.  What?  How can that be? I love cuddling under my quilt on my Tempur Pedic and wrapping my arms around the sleep fairy.  But, alas! she/he has not been available for me in the past year, and a good night's sleep is long over due. Rob can attest (note the picture)-- no sleep equals an extremely crabby me.

Relief may be around the corner in the form of a program called, "restriction therapy". I am not alone with this nasty habit of roaming the halls and this is one way to get back the night for us.

With this new therapy, bedtime is 2 AM and I must think calm, soothing thoughts to combat arousing my sleep anxiety that seem to possess me.  And then it is up at 7 AM ( adhering to the same daily wake up time) to greet the world with a smile.  Yeah, right.  Five hours of shut eye and no nap during the day.  Poor, poor Rob.

What, you may ask, does one do at this ungodly hour when no computer is allowed, only boring reading material is permitted and eating and wild carousing has all been banished.  Good grief! As I read through the brochure I latched on to the only piece of good news in this sleep deprived state-- no cleaning; as in sweeping, dusting etc. etc. etc.  Okay, I can live with that.

I'm told the therapy shouldn't last too long as I progress to adding twenty minutes a night to my bedtime but only if I manage to quickly fall asleep and then stay snoozing for ninety percent of the time. I am giving myself a week to kick this insomnia habit and embrace those elusive sleep fairies that have obviously taken up camp with Rob (Oops--crabby side is showing).

If you are a member of the insomniac club, the tidbits below may help you conquer this ridiculous  habit of staring at the walls and wanting to shoot the sheep instead of counting them.

From St. Mary's Sleep Center

1. Don't go to bed unless you are sleepy.
2.  If you are not asleep after 20 minutes, then get out of the bed.
3.  Begin rituals that help you relax right before bed.
4 Get up at the same time every morning.
5. Avoid taking naps if you can.
6. Keep a regular schedule.
7.  Do not have any caffeine after lunch.
8. Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
9. Do not have a beer, a glass of wine, or any other alcohol within six hours of your bedtime.
10. Do not go to bed hungry, but don't eat a big meal near bedtime either.
11. Avoid any tough exercise within six hours of your bedtime.
12. Avoid sleeping pills, or use them cautiously
13.  Make your bedroom quiet, dark and a little bit cool.


Good luck and good night is all I have to say.

Thanks for reading #391 of 7777.



No comments:

Post a Comment