Saturday, November 28, 2015

#412 The Aftermath


Not eating for the winter could be a pretty good idea.

A flurry of stomping and complaining while watching the Packer game after the glutenous consumption of food has left us exhausted and ready for a long deserved nap.  Bears have the right idea to hibernate for the long cold months of winter and not feed their faces until spring; and we  supposedly are smarter than the average bear.  I think not.

After the cooking and the consuming of the one meal a year where a whopping 4000 calories can be gobbled in one sitting it is surprising we can even move two days in the aftermath of this holiday.  But wait, we are only gearing up for the entire month of December with feeding bags fastened to our muzzles so we don't miss anything that might pass into our hungry or not so hungry tummies.

This year I am attempting once more to limit myself because if I do eat too much, the organ that receives this continuous pouring of edibles will rebel in an unpleasant manner.  My mantra for eating  is simple and similar to ones I have pledged every year--but this time I promise myself-- it will be happen.  In no particular order...


1.  Limit the portions.  Duh--easier said than done.
2. Only eat when I am hungry and not when I am moved by the array of delectable morsels in front of me.


Humans have an instinctual (even good) fear of hunger. Take the book Into the Wild—when the main character can't find food, his hunger drives him to a screaming, shake-his-fist-at-the-heavens rage, a stark example of the primal nature of our need for nourishment. Today, most of us know where our next meal is coming from, yet our reaction to hunger has not evolved with our convenience-centered world.  How to Stop Overeating
3.  Stop eating before I am full to the rim and my eyeballs don't have room to move due to the food packed into my body.
4. Go for the protein and fiber portions and not the high calorie, mouthwatering sugar laden treats we all love.  Okay, maybe I'll grab at least one.
5.  Have a healthy light snack before indulging on an evening out on the town. (side note--this has been a big fail in the past).
6.  Don't be a vacuum and suck it all in with one quick whoosh. Pace myself.
7. Drink water to ward off the hunger pains that seem to increase when perusing a buffet table.

I'll give an update in January if this brilliant undertaking was still one of those pie in the sky (oops, apologies for the food reference) kind of plan or if I will actually follow through and fit into the 2015 jeans.

Thanks for reading # 412 of 7777.







No comments:

Post a Comment